By Megan Adams
Small business ownership is hard – mentally, emotionally, and sometimes physically. It can be lonely, confusing, and frustrating. These things are especially true after the newness has worn off, when you find yourself in what my friend Amber Monaco (You Need An Amber) has termed the “messy middle”. This is when it’s so important to reach out to someone who can guide you: a business coach. Why a business coach? Here are my top six, in no particular order:
- The needle isn’t moving and you’re not sure why. You’re doing the work, taking the courses, and seeking advice, but you’re not getting where you want to go. No traction means no momentum. A business coach can help you discover what you’re missing and implement changes to gain the traction you need to take your business to the next level.
- It’s time to refresh your mindset and change your thought patterns. This the first thing I work on with my clients and there’s a reason: mindset and the stories we tell ourselves are EVERYTHING. If your head and internal narrative aren’t where they need to be, you will never reach your full potential. I’m NOT saying you won’t be externally successful, but it will be a small fraction of what it could be.
- You’re the only one in your way. Sometimes everything is in your favor, yet your goals remain unmet. Whether it’s procrastination, perfectionism, overthinking, or something else, you’re self-sabotaging. Most of time, this ties into the mindset work I do with my coaching clients. A good business coach can help you identify the ways you’re sabotaging your success and respond to the issue.
- You know there are things you DON’T know and you’re ready to learn. We ALL know there are things we don’t know. Finding the resources you need to add to your knowledge base or fill in gaps can be time consuming, especially when you aren’t sure where to look. When you’re ready to learn from and with a coach, you’re ready to GROW at an accelerated rate and this is key to a successful coach-client relationship!
- Accountability is missing. According to the American Society of Training and Development, you have a 65% of completing a goal if you commit to someone. And if you have a specific accountability appointment with that person, you will increase your chance of success by up to 95%! Reverse engineer that and you can easily see why a lack of accountability can be a big baddy of an issue. Your coach is your built in accountability partner, plus some.
- You need someone to show you the way. Occasionally, all the above is true and you can’t see the forest for the trees. When that’s the case, finding your way out can be overwhelming. Working with a business coach not only gives you a guide, but a supportive partner in moving above and beyond the hurdles in your path to success. Your business coach is the not-so-secret weapon that gives you a birds-eye view of all the issues that feel so massive in the moment.
There are so many reasons to work with a business coach. From mindset to accountability and everything in between and on top, the right business coach can absolutely improve your business and career trajectory. Personally, my absolute favorite reason is this: YOU DON’T NEED TO DO THIS ALONE.
If you’re ready to grow, fill out the FBC Coaching interest form. Let’s do the work together.
Firebrand Collective founder & business coach
Megan is the founder of Firebrand Collective, KC’s only female-focused coworking space. She loves mentoring and coaching entrepreneurs, meeting people and facilitating connection across her network.